Friday, September 22, 2006

Gyeongbukgung Palace
This was the primary palace of the Choson dynasty (14th-20th centuries). It's located right in the heart of Seoul. I was amazed at the coexistence of the ancient and modern throughout the country, but it was particularly striking here. The architecture is amazing, as are the mountains behind it. We arrived in time to witness the changing of the guard ceremony, which was really cool. I've seen it at Buckingham Palace in London, but so did 9 zillion other people. I stood in the back and didn't really get to see details. We were so close to the Korean guards - we didn't miss anything. Then of course, the obligatory picture-taking with the guards. They love it as much as the English guards do.... Another cool bit was they let us put on guard clothing and take pictures. I don't care how old I am, I still enjoy playing dress up.




No comments: